Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Independence Day 2012


"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." Ronald Reagan

40th president of US (1911 - 2004)



First they came…" is a famous statement attributed to pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) about the inactivity of German intellectuals following the Nazi rise to power and the purging of their chosen targets, group after group. 

"First they came for the Communists,
 and I didn’t speak up,
 because I wasn’t a Communist.
 Then they came for the Jews,
 and I didn’t speak up,
 because I wasn’t a Jew.
 Then they came for the Catholics,
 and I didn’t speak up,
 because I was a Protestant.
 Then they came for me,
 and by that time there was no one
 left to speak up for me."

On my right breast is one tattoo.  The only one I have and I got it three years ago ( Man did it hurt!).  It is a artistic attempt at a ragged green triangle (point down) with the number 2417 above it.
The green triangle represented "A Nazi Party criminal" and the number 2417 was assigned to my grandfather which he wore on his striped concentration camp clothing.  He died of "heart failure" in Dachau 1938.  He was 36 years old.

Freedom has to be defended. 

 The Hungarian Pointer represents how brave people can overcome insufferable hardships to save the dogs that they so truly love.  The history of the Vizsla during the 20th century is incredible.  A story well worth researching as I did.


Many in society will easily trade security for freedom.  Freedom is not for the faint of heart.  Freedom is not food or water or anything you can touch or feel.  It will not pay your bills or make you smarter or better looking.  What good is it?

Independence Day in the United States of America should be about understanding how freedom can be saved for our children and our grandchildren.  

Rod aka RBD

No comments: