Sunday, February 27, 2011

What makes a really good field trial?

For discussion: What makes a good field trial that engages new Vizsla owners and gets them to want to stay involved?

I have asked the above question on the Yahoo Groups: Vizsla Talk and Vizsla FT yesterday.


I am entering my second year of field trialing. Like most people in the sport, I have started helping at our local Vizsla club field trial events.

Over the last two years I have been able to attend maybe 20 field trials all over the West Coast, both walking and horseback, and each is run a little different. These have been all pointing breed events.

In a really tough economy, where everyone is watching every dollar, field trialing is an expense that really needs to be justified.

Even hard-core field trial friends are having to cut back on what trials and how many they can attend.

With fuel going through the roof and all other expenses going up, it is harder to make the commitment to go to trials. Especially if you are new to the sport and not a breeder or professional.

The answers will be organized and posted on my blog Sunday night:

Thanks for any suggestions. I really enjoy the sport but am cutting back on our expenses also."

A couple years ago, at the 2009 National Vizsla Gun Dog Championship, I found the below write-up on the internet.  Great pictures and interesting write ups of how a high-class field trial can be run. 


No comments: