Monday, June 22, 2009

To the point


There are other parts of training a Vizsla to hunt birds but the POINT is the most thrilling to witness. In each of these four pictures there is a bird in the brush that Bailey has come across. They range from 3 to 5 feet away. The rock solid point is the goal. The dog doesn't move at all while on point. If you follow Bailey's eyes you will know where to look for the bird.


Reading your dog is what I am learning to do. The way he wags his tail, turns, moves, and looks all indicate things that I must learn to communicate with my dog while he is doing "his job". We are a team.

When Bailey locks in on a bird it is his job to keep steady so he does not flush the bird. He will stay frozen like this for many minutes, when he is fully trained, waiting for me to get to him so I can "work the bird".


There becomes a special connecton between a dog and human that I have found no where else.

No comments: